The Amazing Spider-Man came away with a victory of the weekend as the superhero blockbuster found another $65.0 million, bringing the film’s domestic total to $140.0 million. Although this was perhaps seen coming a mile away thanks in part to the movie’s stellar three-day debut over the Fourth of July holiday, this is still a rather impressive feat to accomplish for anyone.
Alas, the story of the weekend probably lies more with Seth MacFarlane’s Ted. The R-rated comedy continues to ride a wave of positive feedback as it only fell about 40% from week one. If people thought last week was a fluke, this week only proves to validate that Ted is for real as it is now past the $100 million mark on the domestic level a mere ten days after hitting theaters. Ultimately, we now consider MacFarlane a lock to do more movies because of this big screen success his first time out.
Other notables from the weekend include Oliver Stone’s Savages finding $16.2 million, Katy Perry’s concert movie completing a four-day open of $10.3 million, and Woody Allen’s To Rome with Love which unexpectedly found $3.5 million on a less-than-nationwide release.
Title – ($WEEKEND/$TOTAL)
1. The Amazing Spider-Man – $65 M / $140 M
2. Ted - $32.6 M / $120.2 M
3. Brave - $20.2 M / $174.5 M
4. Savages - $16.2 M / $16.2 M
5. Magic Mike - $15.6 M / $72.8 M
6. Madea’s Witness Protection - $10.2 M / $45.8 M
7. Madagascar 3 - $7.7 M / $196.0 M
8. Katy Perry: Part of Me - $7.2 M / $10.3 M
9. Moonrise Kingdom - $4.6 M / $26.9 M
10. To Rome with Love - $3.5 M / $5.3 M