The Great Gatsby is overperforming this weekend. Baz Luhrmann’s 3D reinterpretation of the American classic is playing big with theater goers after a $19.4 million Friday (that includes $3 million from late night Thursday.) Estimates for the entire weekend are north of $50 million at this time, +33% what box office analysts expected going into the three-day.
While that does remain the top story, it is not a number one opening by any means. Iron Man 3 is in the midst of its second domestic weekend here in the US which is presumed to end around $70 million. Friday found only $19.8 million, suggesting Saturday and Sunday will continue to play large for the superhero flick. The movie is on its way to the billion-dollar mark which could be hit sooner rather than later.
- IRON MAN 3 – $19.8 M / $232.2 M
- GREAT GATSBY – $19.4 M / $19.4 M
- PAIN & GAIN – $1.3 M / $37.9 M
- PEEPLES – $1.2 M / $1.2 M
- 42 – $1.1 M / $81.2 M
- OBLIVION – $1 M / $78.8 M
- CROODS – $0.7 M / $170.3 M
- MUD – $0.6 M / $6.7 M
- BIG WEDDING – $0.6 M / $16.4 M