The Friday estimates are now in, and it would appear that star power is not exactly what it used to be in Hollywood. At least that seems to be the general theme of the report today. Despite Adam Shankman’s efforts to assemble an all-star cast for his musical Rock of Ages, the film only debuted to $5.4 million which is well below what analysts expected going into the weekend.
Even with this tremendous disappointment, the weekend saw worse as Adam Sandler’s That’s My Boy premiered to $4.6 million which is absolutely terrible. This suggests an opening weekend in the low teens which is roughly half of what some were anticipating.
Just a word of caution though, these stars were out of their element in both features so this is not exactly a clear sign that audiences have had enough of either. File these efforts in the ‘forgettable’ category. The true test for Sandler will likely come next year with Grown Ups 2 which is currently shooting.
Here are the rest of the top ten including the top dogs of Madagascar 3 and Prometheus which also reigned over last week’s data.
1. Madagascar 3 - $10 M / $95.0 M
2. Prometheus - $5.8 M / $74.5 M
3. Rock of Ages - $5.4 M / $5.4 M
4. That’s My Boy - $4.6 M / $4.6 M
5. Snow White and the Huntsman - $4 M / $112.8 M
6. Men in Black 3 - $2.8 M / $145.5 M
7. The Avengers - $2.2 M / $580.1 M
8. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - $0.6 M / $33.6 M
9. Moonrise Kingdom - $0.6 M / $5.2 M
10. What to Expect When You’re Expecting - $0.4 M / $37.9 M